Eggnog French Toast
BY IRVIN LIN
- 1 loaf crusty country-style bread, sliced 1-inch thick
- 1 1/2 cups eggnog, store-bought or homemade
- 2 tablespoons dark rum (optional, can omit or use 2 teaspoons rum extract)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Whipped cream and maple syrup for serving.
Slice up your bread then set it aside to set a bit. It may take up to 15 minutes or so as you’re preparing the batter, or 48 hours upon your countertop.
Next : Fly the toast: in a griddle, or large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of butter on medium heat. After the butter has melted, move the bread that has soaked from the bowl [or baking pan] using tongs or your fingers, letting the batter excess drip off the bread. Be careful if you left the bread out overnight to soak, as it will be more fragile!
Warm the oven, place a metal wire rack, once you are ready to toast in a rimmed baking sheet. Put in the oven at 250F.
Now: frying the toast for 2 to 3 minutes, or till golden brown, flip the toast with a spatula cooking for 2 to 3 minutes more until equally brown on both sides. Now place more slices in the bow to soak up the batter while the toast is cooking.
Next: Keep that toast warm! When the bread if all finished, move it the the wire rack in the oven and with the remaining bread, Repete soaking first, then frying.
Serve it with whipped cream or maple syrup, soon as you can because it’s that good! Enjoy!
Prep: 10 minutes ~ Cook Time: 15 minutes ~ Yield: 12 slices ~ Serves 4 to 6 People
View this and more great holiday recipes from the folks at Simplyrecipes! Eggnob French Toast!