Apple Cranberry Pie
By: Elise Bauer -Simply Recipes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- 1/3 cup finely ground blanched almonds or almond flour
- 16 Tbsp (2 sticks) unsalted butter, very-cold, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 heaping teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 to 6 Tbsp ice water [/Ingrediends]
- 1. cup dried sweetened cranberries1/2 to 2/3 cup sugar (depending on how sweet you want the filling to be)2 tablespoons all purpose flour1/4 teaspoon ground allspice or cinnamon
- 2 1/4 pounds of an assortment of good cooking apples such as Granny Smith, Pippin, Golden Delicious, peeled, cored, and sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices (about 7 cups of apple slices)
- 1 tablespoon of brandy
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp whipping cream
Directions for the pie dough
- In a food processor, Mix in the flour, almond flour, brown sugar, and the salt and pulse it to a mix,
- until it takes the shape of a coarse meal, put in the butter and cut it in the size of peas, then add 1 teaspoon of water at a time, keep on mixing till mixture comes together. Pinching in some dough will hold it together.
- If you see it’s not quite ready, pulse again with a little ice water.
- Now add the butter while pulsing 6 to 8 times..
- Then remove the dough and place it on a clean surface, shape it into 2
- disks being careful as you do so. Make sure you don’t over-knead the dough!
- You should see some of the butter in the dough, this makes for the nice flaky crust!
- Wrap and place it your refrigerator, in plastic wrap for 1 hour or so.
- Heat your oven to 375 F. in the 3rd rack of the oven.
Next is making the pie filling:
- In a large bowl whisking together the flour, sugar, allspice or cinnamon, add the sweetened dried cranberries with the sugar flour mixture while tossing it.
- Add the apples making sure the cranberries are tossed well throughout all of the apples, the sprinkles with vanilla extract, and the brandy.
- Take out one pie disk from your refrigerator to set for 5 to 10 minutes at room temperature, to keep it from sticking, sprinkle a few bits of flour on it, and with a rolling pin, roll it out on a surface into a 12 inch circle, about ⅛ inch thick.
- Place the disk into a 9 inch pyrex pie dish and press down to line the dough with the pie dish.
- Next: Roll out the other disk of dough and place the apples gently in the pie, you can firmly pinch the top and the bottom of the dough rounds together.
- Any excess dough you can trim with kitchen shears, to leave an overhang of ¾ of an inch. You will have to fold it under itself so that the edge is flush with the edge of the pie pan, use your forefinger and thumb to flute it, or use a fork.
- Whisk together in a small bowl, the cream and egg yoke till it’s blended well. Brush over the top of the pie with a pastry brush. With a sharp knife,cut slits into the top of the crust so the stream can escape as the pie is baking. Bake the pie at 375 F. for 30 minutes. Then cover the pie with a sheet of foil and the lower the temp in oven to 350 F. and bake for 45 to 55 minutes more, it will depend on the type of apples you are using.
- When baking is done, the apples should be soft and cooked throughout and the crust golden brown. Take out of the oven and place them on a rack to cool for least 1 hour.
- You can serve the pie warm or at room temperature.
- Serves: 8 Enjoy!
Apple Cranberry Pie! From: Simply Recipes.com
Photo licensed by:(c) Can Stock Photo